Latex is natural rubber that is made from the sap of the Brazilian rubber tree. Hundreds of products may contain latex:
- medical devices (gloves, blood pressure cuffs, IV tubes and catheters);
- dental items (dams and orthodontic rubber bands);
- clothing (the elastic waistbands in pants and underwear);
- children's items (bottle nipples, pacifiers, teething toys and toys);
- household items (rugs, bathmats and rubber gloves);
- personal care items (diaphragms and condoms);
- office and school supplies (rubber bands, erasers, rubber cement and paint).
Not all brands of all items contain latex. Check labels carefully or contact the manufacturer if you are allergic to latex.